e email@example.com | w www.catiamalaquias.com
I am a lawyer, board director and mother of three young children. I am committed to human rights and inclusion of people with disability, especially in relation to media and cultural representation as well as education.
Some of the things I have done in the last few years include:
- Founder and Director of Starting With Julius, a not for profit organisation committed to promoting the equal representation of people with disability in advertising, media and education.
- Co-founder of All Means All – The Australian Alliance for Inclusive Education, a not for profit multi-stakeholder organisation working for the implementation of an inclusive education system in Australia.
- Co-Founder and National Convenor of the School Inclusion Parent Network Project (SIPN) and nationwide network of families supporting each other to ensure access to inclusive education for their children.
- Co-founder of the Global Alliance for Disability in Media and Entertainment (GADIM), an international organisation incorporated in the United State of America, working to increase and improve representation of people with disability in the media.
- Director of the Attitude Foundation, a not for profit organisation working to relieve the discrimination experienced by people with disability in Australia by increasing their inclusion and integration into every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
- Director of Down Syndrome Australia the peak national representative organisation for people with Down syndrome and their families.
- Past Deputy Chair of Down Syndrome WA.
- Co-author of the Inclusion Toolkit for Parents.
- Co-author of the Starting with Julius’ Practical Tips for Teachers Series (now in All Means All’s Inclusion Toolkit for Educators) and All Means All’s Inclusion Toolkit for Parents.
I am currently undertaking a doctoral degree with the Centre for Human Rights Education at Curtin University, Western Australia, and I am an External Affiliate Member of the Centre for Inclusive Education at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
Awards and Recognition
- Australasian Lawyer – Most Influential Lawyer of 2021 (Human Rights and Advocacy) Winner
- Australian Human Rights Award 2018 – Winner Tony Fitzgerald Community Individual Award
- Australian Financial Review’s 100 Women of Influence 2018 – Winner Diversity and Inclusion Award
- National Disability Award 2017 – Winner Community Excellence Award
- Australian Human Rights Award 2017 – Finalist
- Western Australian of the Year Award 2017 – Finalist
- Australian Human Rights Award 2016 – Finalist
- Pro Bono Australia Changemaker
I am proud of the work of Starting With Julius with Australian brands such as retail giants Kmart and Target, companies such as ANZ and NAB as well as as ABCME, Northern Pictures and others to embed disability representation in their work and help develop sustained approaches and policies to support diversity and inclusion. Click here to watch Catia speak about inclusive advertising in Wesfarmers’ Corporate Sustainability video.
I also work to promote widespread recognition of the right to inclusive education as a fundamental human right of all children and the evidence-based benefits of students with disabilities being educated in regular classrooms together with their same-age peers. I have led a range of advocacy efforts to support the implementation of inclusive education in Australia and I am a co-Founder of All Means All – The Australian Alliance for Inclusive Education.
I was honoured to speak about inclusive education at the United Nations in New York in March 2019 and to present in 2020 on a panel about inclusive education at the Conference of State Parties to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities. I also spoke about inclusion in advertising and media at the United Nations in Geneva in March 2016 and at the United Nations in New York in October 2016.