I am a lawyer, board director and mother of three young children. I am committed to human rights and inclusion of people with disability, especially in relation to media and cultural representation as well as education.
Some of the things I have done in the last few years include:
- Founder and Director of Starting With Julius, a not for profit organisation committed to promoting the equal representation of people with disability in advertising, media and education through engaging with advertisers and educators, its social media presence and Ad Inclusion Ambassadors.
- Co-founder of All Means All – The Australian Alliance for Inclusive Education, a not for profit multi-stakeholder organisation working for the implementation of an inclusive education system in Australia.
- Co-Founder and National Convenor of the School Inclusion Parent Network Project (SIPN).
- Co-founder of the Global Alliance for Disability in Media and Entertainment (GADIM), an international platform that encourages actions to increase and improve representation of persons with disability in the media.
- Director of the Attitude Foundation, created with the purpose of relieving the discrimination experienced by people with disability in Australia by increasing their inclusion and integration into every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
- Director of Down Syndrome Australia and formerly Deputy Chair of Down Syndrome WA.
- Co-author of SIPN’s ‘Schools for All Guide,’ a free comprehensive Australian inclusive education online resource for parents.
- Co-author of the Starting with Julius’ Tips for Teachers (Inclusive Education) Series.
- Winner National Disability Awards 2017 – Community Excellence Award.
- Finalist Australian Human Rights Awards 2017.
- Finalist Western Australian of the Year Awards 2017.
- Finalist Australian Human Rights Awards 2016.
- Recognised by Pro Bono Australia as a Changemaker.
I am proud of the work of Starting With Julius with Australian brands such as retail giants Kmart and Target, to help develop sustained approaches and policies to embed the representation of people with disability in their regular advertising efforts. Click on the video below to find out more: https://vimeo.com/228747785
I also work to promote widespread recognition of the right to inclusive education as a fundamental human right of all children and the evidence-based benefits of students with disabilities being educated in regular classrooms together with their same-age peers.